Improving your health as a diabetic requires a lot of things; some of which are monitoring your blood sugar, taking your drugs, going for checkups, and more importantly taking a Multivitamin which is a simple but the best way to maintain good health and manage diabetes.
The best multivitamins for diabetics contain all the nutrients needed to maintain healthy wellbeing as a diabetic. You can always get the necessary vitamins and minerals that you need from food when you maintain a perfect diet but it is not always that you get those nutrients, there are days when you miss out on one-two nutrient needed for your body as they are only available in few select foods.
Multivitamin doesn’t mean you should neglect eating nutritional food but taking multivitamins helps you to maintain the right diet and give you the right proportion of vitamins and minerals needed in case you miss out while taking your nutritional foods. There is also some nutrient that is scarce and hard to come by and it’s only from these multivitamins for diabetics that you can get them.
The best multivitamins for diabetics give 100 % to 150 of the daily value for each nutrient. People with diabetes often have lower levels of vitamin C in their bodies than people with no diabetes. Folic acid, Vitamin D and Vitamin E help people with diabetes also.
Talking about vitamins for diabetics, vitamin D helps to keep the bones healthy and has many vital advantages for people with diabetes; it helps in controlling glucose levels. Another Vitamin for diabetics is Vitamin B12, it helps to lessen the pain of neuropathy which is one of the common problems of diabetes. Other vitamins for diabetes shall be discussed as you keep reading this article.
BEST MULTIVITAMINS FOR DIABETICS
1 – NATURE MADE
A diabetes patient needs to watch what they eat which is one of the main reasons there are specific foods and other health choices that diabetics must avoid or take only in moderation.
Diabetes and pre-diabetes are often restricted from eating some food which prevents them from getting the necessary nutrient they need. Nature Made Diabetes Health Pack provides all the missing nutrients they need for their body to maintain a balanced nutrient.
Nature Made Health Pack is particularly made for diabetes and pre-diabetes patients. Lutein, multivitamins, and minerals are also included in the nutrients which are essential for diabetics.
Nature Made Health Pack contains two boxes and each box contains 30 pieces of multivitamins and mineral supplements (i.e. a total of 60 supplements). The nutrients in this health pack include vitamins, minerals, lutein, green tea, and alpha-lipoic acid, it also includes vitamin E which is the best supplement for energy and a healthy heart. It also keeps the immune system healthy which is very much needed for diabetics as they often suffer from a weak immune system.
Nature Made Health Pack also contains chromium which helps the diabetics to regulate glucose metabolism thereby elevating your energy so that you won’t get tired easily.
- Provides necessary nutrients for diabetics
- It is easy to take
- Increases the energy level
- Specially made for diabetes and pre-diabetes
- It doesn’t have sugar or gluten
- The price varies depending on where you bought it from
- It can cause constipation for some diabetic but not all diabetics
2 – GNC MEGA MEN
The GNC Mega Men series is specifically designed for men; it is a calorie-burning multivitamin for men. The main ingredient in GNC Mega Men’s energy and metabolism are capsicum, caffeine, black pepper extract, and green tea extract which helps in increasing the metabolism and also promotes fat burning. It is specially designed to improve the body’s immune system and also enhance good health.
The GNC Mega Men also helps to support colon and prostate health and also increases the level of crucial B vitamins for men. This product also comes in a couple of forms so if you don’t like pills, you can go for chewy or a gummy one, it is full of antioxidants that help to promote immune system health and keep you feeling good and vibrant each day. It is one of the best supplements for energy and heart health as it supports it while using this product. It makes the fitness journey easier for men by taking additional multivitamins like the GNC Mega Men to your daily routine.
- Contains Zero Sugar
- No artificial coloring
- Promotes Energy and Fitness
- It is a good Antioxidant
- It has no artificial flavoring
- Contains 25 calories per serving
- Support the Heart Health
- Trusted Brand and Product
- Contains Soy
- Excessively high levels of B vitamins
3 – NATURELO Whole Food Multivitamin
The Naturelo’s whole food multivitamins entail whole-food nutrients extracted from real fruits and vegetables. There are a complete number of 18 different Naturelo Multivitamins out there, each is geared towards women’s health, men’s health, and the well-being of the children as well.
The whole number of 18 different Naturelo Multivitamins are packaged differently in sizes, we have 4 various supplements for men, 6 different supplements for women (with an additional 1 general adult option), and 3 options for children.
Naturelo whole food multivitamin is GMO-free, Soy-free, Gluten-free, it doesn’t have preservatives, coloring, or flavoring. It is vegan-friendly i.e. it is a good option for vegetarians. It helps the immune system and also improves the heart, eye health, and the brain.
- Made of natural vitamins that include vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K
- Enhances the immunity of the body
- Contains no chemical as it is free from additives and fillers
- Made from organic fruits and organic blends
- It increases body metabolism and energy
- It has side effects like nausea, dizziness or cramping but not everyone experiences the side effect
4 – Nature’s Way Completia Prenatal Multivitamins
Nature’s way Completia prenatal is a special kind of multivitamins made with folic acid (folate) and DHA to support pregnant women and nursing mothers. Nature’s way consists of Omega-3 fatty acids derived from algae which are an additional supplement in case you are worried about the harmful effects of lower-quality fish oil supplements.
Nature’s way is available in different flavors for mothers who like it in variety and also you can go for the gummy ones in case you find it hard swallowing the giant whole pills. It also includes the orchard fruits and garden veggies power blend rich in antioxidants and fruit pectin rather than gelatin.
It contains no artificial flavors, dairy products, eggs, gluten, preservatives, wheat, peanuts, or yeast. It is a friend for everyone’s use.
- Contains DHA and Folate
- It is not expensive
- It is easy to swallow
- Includes food-based blends
- Dry mouth, altered sense of taste
- Loss of appetite
- Diarrhea or constipation
5 – APLHA-BETIC MULTIVITAMINS
Alpha-betic Multivitamin is specifically formulated with the right proportion of vitamins, minerals, and other necessary nutrients to support the needs of the diabetics and ensure healthy living for them.
Alpha-betic Multivitamins consist of these basic ingredients; vitamin B12, Lutein, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Biotin, and Vanadium. It also includes the right proportion of other vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to ensure the well-being of diabetics.
Alpha Lipoic Acid is known for its unique ability to promote glucose metabolism, healthy nerve, and eye function and also act as antioxidant protection. It is commonly prescribed for people with Diabetes Mellitus.
- Good for eye and nerve health
- Boosts glucose metabolism
It can cause increased stomach acid
The color of urine may change to bright yellow urine
ADVANTAGES/ BENEFITS OF USING MULTIVITAMINS FOR DIABETICS
- Vitamins and Minerals for diabetes helps in regulating blood sugar and insulin sensitivity
- Vitamins and Minerals for diabetes helps in maintaining healthy skin, eyes, teeth, bones, brain, muscles and other things
- Multivitamins for diabetes prevent nutrient deficiencies and symptoms associated with it
- Taking multivitamins helps to keep a body energetic and fit
- Getting enough Vitamins and Minerals for diabetes improves a person’s mood and emotional well-being, it enhances the brain function which is responsible for the mood
- Taking multivitamins helps to reduce stress and anxiety
- Multivitamins reduce the rate of getting cancer as it contains a lot of vitamins which decreases the risk of some cancers
TIPS FOR MULTIVITAMINS FOR DIABETICS
There are tips you need to follow when choosing a multivitamins supplement for diabetics, there are some vitamins and minerals for diabetes that is needed for your condition.
- Make sure it has 100% or more of the Daily Value for most vitamins and minerals for diabetes
- For a woman in her pre-menopausal stage, it is advisable to look for a multivitamin that has 18 milligrams of iron; also for men and women in their post-menopausal stage, they need to take a multivitamin that has about 8-10 milligrams of iron per day
- You do not have to worry about the multivitamin that doesn’t have 100% percent Daily Value of Calcium, just make sure you eat foods that are rich in Calcium (i.e. Leafy green vegetables and dairy products) or better still get a separate calcium supplement
- If you are taking fat-soluble vitamins for diabetics like Vitamins like A D, E, and K, you must eat a little food with fat in it at the same time before taking the vitamins
- Always check the date on the bottle of your supplement as you might not get the exact treatment you wished for if the supplement is out of date, the expiry date on the supplement indicates the extent of its quality.
- Diabetics Multivitamin pack must contain 100 percent DV for chromium and at least 25 percent DV for magnesium (no multivitamins can contain 100 percent magnesium because it won’t fit into a single pill). Always look for the word “high potency” to ensure that the Diabetics Multivitamin pack you are taking has 100% DV of calcium and at least 25% DV of magnesium.
- Always consult your doctor before you take any supplement as certain supplements can interfere with medications you may be taking like blood thinners.
- Make sure you follow the dosage as printed on the label of your Diabetics Multivitamin or as prescribed by your doctor when taking the supplement.
- Iron is good for maintaining muscle and brain, and also enhances the immune system but taking more of iron than required can build up to toxic levels in the heart and liver, it causes symptoms like tiredness, joint pain due to depression and impotency in sex.
- You should never substitute vitamins and minerals for food, it can be used as a supplement to your diet but should never replace food.
- Watch out for a product that claims to work fast and boast of beliefs that is unrealistic
THINGS TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING DIABETIC MULTIVITAMINS
Diabetics should always note the following when they want to buy any Diabetics Multivitamins pack
- Beware of Additives and fillers in a multivitamins product
- Avoid formulas that contain calcium and iron. Nutrients such as calcium and iron are best taken separately
- Avoid diabetics multivitamins pack that has “Oxide” as part of its ingredients. Cheap supplements mostly contain oxide and it is a form of any nutritional supplement which is the cheapest source of minerals like magnesium, zinc, and copper. These cheap supplements are not good for the body.
- Avoid supplement that contains less than 10mg of B Vitamins, low levels of B vitamins is insignificant and unhelpful to the human body system as it cannot create a strong basis for protection
- Seek out companies that are well known for producing high-quality products. Companies like this always have their products verified through the third party
- Do not use Diabetic Multivitamins packs supplements that have artificial flavors and sweetener, avoid fillers and binders also.
- Always go for minerals that are in chelated forms as these are best absorbed by the body
- If the product doesn’t have an expiry date, make sure you don’t get it
- An organic multivitamin is free from synthetic chemicals, pesticides, antibiotics and growth hormones which is why it is advisable to go for a multivitamin made with organic ingredients
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the best vitamins for diabetics?
Type 1 diabetes is a kind of severe condition caused by the inability of the pancreas to produce insulin. Insulin is responsible for controlling the production of energy by regulating the amount of sugar in glucose from entering the body.
There are best vitamins for diabetics’ type 1 which aids the body treatments;
- Vitamin C: diabetics usually have a low range of vitamin C due to the high blood sugar which is also known as the glucose level. Vitamin C is needed as one of the best vitamins for diabetics’ type 1 because it helps to regulate the blood glucose and lipid levels.
- Biotin: biotin works with insulin for efficient use of glucose in the body through the enzyme glucokinase. Biotin is classified under Vitamin B or sometimes called Vitamin H; it is a form of diabetic nutrients to support energy and helps to increase the glucokinase level because diabetics tend to have low glucokinase.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is well known as one of the best vitamins for diabetics type 1 mostly because it helps to prevent common complications of diabetes like damage of the kidney, eye and the heart
- Vitamin D: type 1 diabetics tend to have lower than usual level of Vitamin D but when you use supplements containing it, it promotes the use of glucose in the body and enhance bone health, it is also one of the diabetics nutrients to support energy.
The above-listed vitamins are well known as the Best Vitamins for diabetics Type 1 and it’s also advisable to eat well-nourished food to maintain good health
Let us look at the Best Vitamins for Diabetics Type 2
Chromium picolinate decreases insulin levels and improves blood sugar metabolism most especially for Type 2 diabetes and people with obesity
People with diabetes tend to have a deficiency in magnesium due to the high blood sugar they have in their bodies. When they pass out excess sugar in their urine, magnesium escapes also. Magnesium is naturally found in the body but can be improved by eating diabetes-friendly being a diabetic nutrient to support energy and also rich foods. A food that is high in fiber also had a high rate of magnesium which is also diabetes-friendly. Magnesium is considered one of the best vitamins for diabetics’ type 2 due to this.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid:
Alpha-Lipoic Acid has antioxidant properties and has other functions like reduces inflammation, slow skin aging, lower blood sugar levels, and improves nerve function. Diabetics are often advised to take certain food or supplements to optimize the intake because our body also produces alpha-lipoic but in small amounts.
- green tea:
Green Tea is known to be one of the healthiest beverages on earth and also considered as one of the best vitamins for diabetics type 2, it also contains polyphenol which is antioxidants.
Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the main antioxidant in green tea; it has numerous health benefits like;
- Lowers the risk of heart disease
- Promotes fat loss
- Prevents type 2 diabetes
- Improves brain function
- Improves glucose control
- Enhance insulin activity
- Fatty Acids: it has been proven that fish oil which is high in omega-3 fatty acids lowers triglyceride levels for people with type 2 diabetes which lowers the risk of heart disease. It also protects non-diabetic and diabetics from heart disease and reduces inflammation.
What supplement helps lower blood sugar?
If you want to lower your blood sugar level, it will require you taking a certain supplement which has been proven to help the condition and reduces the risk of unforeseen risk and complications that might want to happen.
Here are the various supplements that help to lower blood sugar;
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon helps the body’s cells to respond better to insulin which in turn improves blood glucose level, lowering the blood sugar. It also has other health benefits which include boosting the immune system relieving digestion, diabetics’ nutrients to support energy, and also serves as a great source of vital nutrients.
- Quercetin supplements: Quercetin consists of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects which aid the reduction of inflammation, controls blood sugar, kills cancer cells, and also prevents heart disease. Quercetin lowers the blood sugar in diabetic patients who are not even taking anti-diabetes drugs.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera help most diabetics in achieving moderate blood glucose levels and also reduces body fat and weight
- Chromium Supplement: This is an essential mineral that needs to be considering when you want to lower your blood sugar. Chromium helps to regulate insulin and support the activity of pancreatic cells that produce insulin.
- Bitter melon:
Bitter melon has polypeptide-p which is similar to insulin in nature and reduces glucose levels; it reduces the absorption of glucose thereby reducing the production of glucose in the liver so that the blood glucose can also improve.
Which brand of Multivitamins is the best?
It is very important to choose a good brand of multivitamins that have gone through third-party testing and also made with quality ingredients. There are lots of brands out there that are full of additives, fillers, and ingredients that can be harmful to your health.
Here are the lists of some best multivitamins brand to meet your nutritional needs;
- Best Vitamin D supplement: Nature Made Vitamin D3 supplement meets the required guidelines for safety and quality, the company is well known for producing high-quality supplements. Supplements are available in tablet, gummy, and liquid soft gel to suit your likes.
- Best Vitamin B12 Supplement: The Kirkland signature Daily Multivitamins provides essential nutrients and vitamins that are necessary for a balanced diet. The supplement comes with additional folic acid and selenium which is good and needed for mothers and children. You don’t have to worry about getting a balanced diet if you are taking the Kirkland Signature Daily Supplement Multivitamins Minerals Tablets because it provides a potent and full formulation of vitamins, minerals, and ginseng to ensure total nutrients needed by the body.
- Best Multivitamin: Metagenics ensures high-quality ingredients and transparency and even gives you access to detailed information on the outcomes of the test for the specific supplement you want. They are also one of the high-quality supplement company that manufactures different vitamins and minerals. Metagenics helps to improve memory, support healthy vision, and enhance bone density.
- Best Pre-Natal Vitamin: SmartyPants produces prenatal vitamins that are made using non-GMO ingredients which are free of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. The SmartyPants Supplement contains nutrients that are of utmost importance for fetal growth and development which includes Omega-3 fatty acids, folate, and Vitamins B12, D and K. folate reduces the risk of neural defects in the fetus during pregnancy.
- Energy Vitamins for Diabetics: Centrum Energy for diabetics has proven to be one of the best energy vitamins for diabetics; Centrum Energy for high-quality daily multivitamins with Ginseng which is used to maintain an active lifestyle by supporting the energy needs without using stimulants or caffeine. Centrum Energy for diabetics being an energy vitamin for diabetics supports energy, vitality, and well-being. If you are feeling fatigued or stressed out consistently, you might want to check out Centrum energy for diabetics being a complete multivitamin with 100% or more of the daily value of the essential nutrients
Can diabetics take gummy vitamins?
Gummy vitamins are vitamins that are similar to candy; they are chewable and come in a variety of colors, flavors, and shapes. Gummy vitamins are preferably by most adults and children who don’t like to swallow pills or love sweet things because gummy vitamins are made with added sugar. Most gummy vitamins are made from gelatin, water sugar, corn starch, and colorings like lemon, raspberry, and orange flavors which are mostly used. If you must go for a gummy vitamin, make sure it is one that has a low amount of sugar and has been tested by a third party. Diabetics are advised to reduce the intake of sugar to regulate the blood glucose level which is why it is important to go for gummy vitamins with a low amount of sugar
Do multivitamins work?
Multivitamins are supplements that contain various minerals and vitamins which constitute nutrients needed by the body. A true multivitamin provides the essential vitamins and minerals at the relatively low levels that the body normally requires. For someone that has a balanced diet, such people do not need to take vitamin and mineral supplements. However, taking Vitamin D supplements particularly in the winter period is good as the vitamin is absorbed into the body from sunlight.
Vitamins are very essential to our bodies as they contribute to growth, nerve function, digestion, and a whole host of other things. There are studies which prove that multivitamin doesn’t reduce the risk of heart and cardiovascular disease s while some said it does reduce the risk of heart diseases, same also with some vitamin supplements that can help to improve the memory.
However, you must see your doctor before taking any multivitamins as there are fake brands out there and also there are different multivitamins for different problems, there are also multivitamins meant to be used by men, women, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and the children. Multivitamins that have iron and folic
Should we take multivitamins daily?
The majority of us don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables, we don’t get the entire nutrient they need daily. We’re not getting the right amount of iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and so on; this can lower our risk for heart disease, stroke, cancer, and other health conditions.
Taking a multivitamin daily serves health insurance for us as it gives a daily guarantee of the essential vitamins and minerals needed. Multivitamins give us the whole nutrient in one supplement without having to worry about anything throughout the day. Also, taking the right multivitamin gives us more energy, healthy hair, puts us in a good mood and a clearer mind.
Can Multivitamins raise blood sugar?
Not all Multivitamins raise blood sugar but few supplements raise blood sugar when they are not taken cautiously. Here are the few supplements that cause a spike in blood sugar;
- Caffeine: caffeine can mostly be found in coffees and teas including green tea, black tea, and oolong tea. It is one of the basic ingredients used in many weight loss supplements and energy drinks. When caffeine is used in large quantities, it raises the blood sugar by contributing to the resistance of the insulin thereby lowering the after-meal glucose metabolisms in diabetics.
- Melatonin: Melatonin is used by people who have sleeping disorders, it has a high tendency of raising the blood sugar level by increasing the insulin resistance and reducing the glucose uptake into the cells. It is more advisable to see your doctor before taking melatonin most especially for diabetics as it can cause severe blood pressure levels.
- Glucosamine Sulfate: Glucosamine sulfate is specifically used to treat joint problems. It is also one of the vitamins that can raise the blood sugar of diabetics by decreasing insulin production or increasing insulin resistance.
- Fish Oil: fish oil is used to reduce the risk of heart disease and lowering triglycerides, but for diabetics’ type 2, it increases the blood sugar level when fish oil is taken in high dosage.
- Taking a high dosage of Vitamin C also increases blood sugar levels. For women that have to pass their menopause stage who are diabetics, taking a dosage that is greater than 300mg can lead to cardiovascular diseases which lead to death eventually.
What supplements are bad for diabetics?
What makes a supplement bad for diabetics is the side effect and a lot of supplements has helped to curb the danger of diabetes although supplement should not be used to replace the standard diabetes treatment, this is why it is important to talk to your doctor before using any supplements as some of the product can meddle with other treatments or medications being used. Failure to talk to your doctor might lead to you putting your life at risk; natural product most times doesn’t guarantee safety.
Is Zincovit safe for diabetics?
Zincovit provides calcium for the body and it aids as a nutritional supplement. It’s a great supplement for people with diabetes as they need a daily dose of multivitamins and calcium.