Nectarine, which is a kind of peach, is scientifically known as Prunus persica var nucipersica. The smooth and shiny fruit is quickly taking over peach farms in certain parts of Asia.
The fruit’s fame is spreading quickly due to its high nutritional benefits to the body, however, many are still curious about the answer to the question, “can diabetics eat nectarines?
Before we answer this question, it is worth knowing that nectarines contain high amounts of Vitamin B3, Vitamin C, Copper, Potassium and Zinc, Iron, Magnesium, etc., which generally helps protect the body against harmful agents.
8 Benefits of Nectarines to Diabetes Patients
While there are many fruits that diabetics should avoid, nectarines do not happen to be part of them because nectarines and diabetes do not happen to have a bad connection. This peach fruit has been studied and has proven to have properties that prevent and manage diabetes.
Here are a few benefits of nectarines to people suffering from diabetes.
- 1 – Contains Antioxidants: Nectarines are rich in antioxidants that reduce oxidative stress, resulting from unstable molecules also known as free radicals in the body. This oxidative stress may result in diabetes and heart disease in the long run. Flavonoids and anthocyanins are also found in nectarines. While flavonoids may lower the declination in brain work, anthocyanins reduce inflammation and heart disease.
- 2 – Helps to Prevent Anemia: Moderate and healthy consumption of nectarines may help prevent anemia caused by a deficiency in the number of red blood cells. To achieve this, diabetic patients should eat nectarines alongside foods containing lots of iron. Furthermore, the Vitamin C present in nectarines helps the body absorb iron from foods better.
- 3 – Aids in Weight Loss: As a source of fiber, nectarines help keep you fuller and put a knife to your appetite, thus keeping you from adding unnecessary weight leading to obesity. In addition, the fruit contains a low amount of calories and supports weight loss.
- 4 – Reduces The Risk of Cancer: Also found in nectarines are phenolic compounds that reduce cancer risk, according to studies. Although more research is ongoing being carried out on this, it is highly possible that eating a considerable amount of nectarines will keep you from contracting cancer.
- 5 – Contains Iron: As a good source of iron, Nectarines contribute to reducing fatigue, positively adding to the formation of red blood cells while boosting your immune system. An iron deficiency may prove risky for diabetic patients. It also contains a good amount of magnesium that can stabilize blood sugar levels as the presence of iron helps in the absorption of sugar from the blood.
- 6 – Reduced Pregnancy Complications: One of the causes of pregnancy risks is the absence of enough potassium content in the body, promoting high blood pressure, leading to lethal pregnancy outcomes for women. Nevertheless, regular intake of nectarines provides the body with potassium which can lower the risk of blood pressure. Pregnant women are therefore advised to consume more foods and fruits containing potassium.
- 7 – Can Prevent Heart Disease: High blood pressure is a significant cause of heart disease. Increased consumption of nectarines helps reduce the risk of having heart disease in diabetic patients, which may lead to stroke and cardiac arrest.
- 8 – Prevents Diabetes: This is highly important for diabetics if this fruit can be eaten without the fear of an increase in sugar level. Nectarines have been found to contain anti-diabetic effects. The fruit does not possess a high GI; this makes it a low-calorie fruit and will not cause a spike in blood sugar level.
Top 3 Nectarines To Buy On Amazon
- Traina Home Grown California Sun Dried Nectarines – Healthy & Non-GMO, Sweet Flavor
- Fancy Dried Fruits- Sun Dried California Nectarines, 2 lb
- Bella Viva Orchards Dried California White Nectarines, 1 lb of Dried Fruit
Faqs On Nectarines And Diabetes
- Do Nectarines Raise Blood Sugar?
No, Nectarines do not raise blood sugar. This is because the fruit has low amounts of calories and carbohydrates. Due to this, eating this fruit does not increase your blood sugar levels.
- Do Nectarines Have A Lot of Sugar?
Nectarines do not contain much sugar, so diabetics can eat them on a moderate scale. Consuming nectarine more than needed will lead to harmful effects like stomach upset. The fruit contains natural sugar in a reasonable but not negligible amount.
- Are Nectarines High Glycemic?
Foods and fruits with a high glycemic index are not recommended for patients with diabetes. This is because the higher the glycemic index of fruit or food, the higher it makes the sugar levels increase, leading to further complications for them. Although Nectarines do not possess a high glycemic index, making them safe for diabetics, it is advisable to consume the fruit moderately.
- What is The Glycemic Load of Nectarines?
Nectarines have a glycemic index load of 39. This means they cannot increase blood glucose, unlike several other fruits like Papaya, Bananas, Orange, etc. Nectarines also contain low amounts of carbohydrates and calories.
- Are Nectarines Suitable for Diabetics?
Certainly! Nectarines contain many helpful vitamins, minerals, and compounds that are suitable for people with diabetes. Having anti-diabetic effects, the fruit is highly beneficial to people who have diabetes.
We believe this post sufficiently answers the question, “can diabetics eat nectarines?”.
The bottom line is, while people with diabetes can consume this fruit, it is medically wise to first consult with your doctor on how and when to include the fruit in your diet, and also seek help on the amount of nectarines to consume before proceeding to eat the fruit.
The goodness of the fruit to the body can become harmful when taken without caution. The less serving of nectarines you eat, the less probable effect it may have on your blood sugar, and on the other hand, the more servings you eat per sitting, the more probable effect it would have on your sugar level.